Vegetable Seed Production Rep- Washington

Seed Production Representative

"Production Field Representative"

Seminis Vegetables

Eastern Washington

Monsanto's Seminis Vegetable division has an open role in Eastern Washington working closely with our vegetable seed suppliers. This is a great opportunity if you are excited about the corporate/business aspects of Agriculture (growth opportunity & business development potential) but still want to spend most of your time working a field. Key seed crops grown in this territory are peas, beans (garden & dried), onions & carrot.

The Production Field Representative is accountable for the seed crops grown at our partner (contracted) producer locations. This means working closely with our contracted growers regarding everything from initial planning and contract through to harvest. This includes: contract negotiation, pre-plant planning, crop placement, input use, supervision of production teams through harvest of seed crops. You will be the liaison between that grower and Seminis to ensure they under stand and meet planned volume expectations, seed quality specification and established timely delivery to operation facilities.

This role will be "home-based" in our Warden, Washington office. However, 80% of the work will be done onsite at grower locations in the Eastern Washington territory.

This role directly supervises up to 30 seasonal field employees (planting, roughing, and harvest labor) as well as supports labor contract companies. The Production Field Representative carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Monsanto's policies and applicable labor laws.

People leadership responsibilities include:

  • Interviewing, hiring, & training of seasonal labor
  • planning, assigning, and directing work
  • appraising performance
  • rewarding and disciplining employees
  • addressing complaints and resolving problems

Key Responsibilities:

  • Maintain records on each crop and provide weekly crop status updates to management
  • Select and contract with growers and recommend grower contract prices
  • Maintain knowledge of field history of production field to prevent contamination due to volunteers of like species or loss due to residual chemical carryover
  • Supervise planting of company Stockseed for trueness to type, accuracy of planting rate, depth and securing of all leftover stock
  • Maximize seed production at locations
  • Supervise planting and monitoring of company Stockseed
  • Coordinating and supervising roughing activities in crops using seasonal labor
  • Update crop estimates and delivery dates in the system on a regular basis
  • Schedule and monitor all harvest activities to maintain quality adherence and timely delivery of seed to meet customer ship dates
  • Resolve grower and/or customer issues
  • Scheduling and monitoring all harvests activities to maintain quality adherence and timely delivery of seed to meet customer ship dates
  • Maintain continuing intelligence prices of competitor crops, acreage, and overall progress during the season
  • Develop, monitor and document the results of new variety trials each year
  • Responsible for field vehicles, equipment, safety, and maintenance within production territory
  • Evaluate new equipment, chemicals, and or practices that may apply to future production
  • Advise on budgeting and expense control for production area
  • Assist in writing revisions to production manuals
  • Assist in the drying, threshing operation and shipping of production seed to Oxnard, CA


  • Bachelors Degree in Agriculture OR other education with strong agriculture industry experience.
  • Strong written and verbal communication skills
  • Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents
  • Willingness to travel; occasional regional and national travel
  • Must pass a substance abuse test and background and driving record checks

Possession of a Certified State Crop consultants license is desired.