At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
We are seeking a Senior Team Leader, Biobased Chemicals, to strengthen the Microbiology & Industrial Biotechnology Research Group in Tarrytown, NY. The group is an integral part of our White Biotechnology Research within the global Bioscience Research Platform.
The group works closely with other research groups, development teams and business units of BASF, inside and outside the US. In addition, the group maintains and supports numerous collaborations with non-BASF partners, including universities and other research organizations.
Senior Team Leader, Biobased Chemicals (1603174)
You will be responsible for the management of a group of scientists with focus on the topic of biobased chemicals, which includes the development and optimization of microbial hosts for the production of example chemicals from renewables.
Formula for Success: You Will…
· Manage a research team of scientists and technicians in the area of industrial biotechnology
· Manage the identification, hiring and development of talent
· Manage performance management and reviews
· Identify, plan and execute challenging and cutting edge research projects
· Coach team members to establish priorities, milestones and completion dates for projects
· Handle complex projects simultaneously
· Closely interact with other research units of BASF (mostly in North America and Germany) and to business units within BASF to create new ideas, processes or products and to ensure successful execution of research projects and ensure realization of upside potential.
· Maintain a filled project pipeline
· Scout in the field of industrial biotechnology and identify opportunities for BASF with emphasis on new products and processes
· Guide research collaborations with start-up companies and universities in the field of industrial biotechnology in North-America
· Travel globally and within North America
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
1. Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
2. Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
3. Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
4. Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
5. Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
6. Execute performance and career development discussions
7. Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
8. Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
· PhD in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Fermentation, or engineering with a strong focus on metabolic engineering and strain development
· 5+ years of work experience in industrial biotechnology research & development (microbiological methods, metabolic pathway design in microorganisms and fermentation)
· Previous experience in managing a technical team
· Advanced interpersonal and team skills and ability to work in interdisciplinary and intercultural, global teams
· Excellent organizational and communication skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
· Business experience within the chemical or bio products industry
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.