At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The Global Strategy team is accountable for supporting and developing strategic business unit (SBU) strategies through the identification and validation of key strategic options, business plan review and revisions and implementation of key business initiatives.
Director, Strategy & New Business Development is accountable and responsible to manage the strategic development, marketing and planning processes required to support and sustain the Global Catalyst Division and the associated strategic business units. This position holds the overall responsibility and accountability to ensure the delivery of strategic business analysis, strategy development and recommendations, external market and competitive intelligence, identification and recommendation of strategic issues, selected strategy implementation initiatives, business modeling and appropriate monitoring and updates. In addition, Director, Strategy & New Business Development ensures that collaborative relationships and supporting roles with the M&A and new business development groups are maintained to evaluate and validate business proposals for new growth opportunities for the division. This position works closely with and collaborates with appropriate business unit management including senior level executives (Senior Vice President / Divisional President) as well as BASF Group functions.
Formula for success. You will…….
- Monitor and analyze market/ competitive intelligence (trends, scenarios, etc.)
- Develop global business unit strategy for assigned BUs (Mobile Emissions Catalyst and Metals)
- Align strategy with internal stakeholders (GBU, Corporate Development, COE, R&D). Steer through Board approval processes
- Initiate and lead strategic projects and M&A through approval process (e.g. capex investments, acquisitions/mergers)
- Develop business strategy related to the establishment and management of strategic partnerships, such as joint ventures
- Lead New Business Development projects and innovation strategy. Screen new product and market opportunities
- Develop IP strategy. Coordinate decisions related to defending IP and licensing
- Develop strategic marketing concepts
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
- Execute performance and career development discussions
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.Ingredients for success. What we look for in you…..
- Bachelor’s Degree required; degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Business Administration preferred
- MBA preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of Chemical Industry work experience in any combination of the following disciplines required: marketing, business or product management, purchasing, strategy development, mergers & acquisition and/or consulting
- Experience directly managing others required
- Experience with developing and/or implementing strategy is required
- Demonstrated experience in leading and developing teams
- Demonstrated strong project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex strategic topics
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a cross-functional and matrixed business environment, and external consultants
- Sales and marketing work experience strongly preferred
- Work experience is a solutions based and/or specialty business is preferred
- Experience within multiple Operating Divisions as well as international experience are considered a plus
- Demonstrated understanding of BASF's strategic development process would be beneficial
- German language skills are considered a plus
- Automotive industry work experience a plus
- Leads by example and sets environment for taking risks within the organization by addressing constraints and enabling resources.
- Inspires others and takes accountability for an innovation pipeline by championing and discerning new and creative approaches.
- Ensures that all services and products provide value for BASF as well as customers in strategic markets.
- Fosters the integration of a diversity of perspectives across the organization resulting in development of high performing teams and output.
- Involves, trusts and optimizes a diverse, high performing team and creates a vision that fosters a sense of common ownership.
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.